Whole Grain Butternut Squash & Sausage Soup
20 min, plus overnight soaking
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 50 min
- 1/2 package of whole grains and bean soup mix (we like Bob’s Red Mill 26 oz)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 cup bacon bits
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 2-3 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
Soak the whole grains according to package instructions.
Add beef broth, chicken broth, and drained soup mix to a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Add smoked sausage, bacon bits, onion, carrots, squash, garlic, and steak seasoning.
Bring to a simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.